How to use these understandings to have an awesome life:
I personally choose to have a 30 year dream, a 7 year vision, a 1 year plan, 3 month goals and a 1 month schedule. This article will be about the 30 year dream and the 7 year Vision.
30 Year Dream:
Why do I have a difference between dream and vision? Because you don't have to believe dreams can be real yet. They can be absurd and fantastic. One of my dreams is that in 30 years I will be standing on the early stages of a series of man-made floating islands ringed by floating storm walls and reefs in the middle of the Pacific Plastic Gyre. Around me Billions of Tons of Plastic Garbage floating in the water (lookup pacific garbage gyre) is quickly being collected and turned into Diesel, Gasoline, Natural Gas, Graphene and other exotic materials for construction.
This DREAM is huge:
Giant Kites generating wind power
Huge Pumps pulling cold water and nutrients from the ocean floor to the surface for fresh water collection, power generation and eternal plankton blooms feeding a giant ecosystem of ocean fauna creating completely new fisheries which never existed before
A 22,000 mile long graphene ribbon lowered down from orbit and connected to an Island on the bottom with a space station on the other end. Machines regularly climbing this Space Elevator Cable making space affordable for humanity
It is absolutely ludicrous... and yet it is mine. It wakes me up every morning and gives me a why. Some people are happy with dreams of a loving family and comfortable job. That's fine. The only thing that matters is this:
Your Dream is your reason to keep living. If you lost your spouse(s), your parents, your kids, your job, your friends, your physical health and/or all of the above, your dream needs to be big enough in your heart to keep you going. It has to be so important to you that when your life it at its worst, you can look at that dream and decide that that it is still worth getting up and facing pain again and again to make it happen.
Once you own your dream a funny thing happens. You start seeing the universe trying to make your insane dream become more and more possible. One example: I had a guy call me out of the blue for a certain reason, but somehow our conversation shifted and I found myself listening to exact technical knowledge I needed coming from his mouth. He spent 4 hours giving me advice on how to do stuff on this dream and where to find funding! This has become COMMONPLACE. I have had dozens of people say, “Dude... you should do this. I believe you can. I'd love to be part of that.”
As crazy as this dream is I have held it for 3 years now and I'm starting to see a path toward success. I know where I can buy some of the ships it'll need. I have some business plans to make it viable economically. I know some of the ways to try to collect the plastic and convert it. I know how to convert some ships to having factories onboard. I know how to get countless tons of raw materials delivered to us. I know ways to get legal status as a completely new country... one after another this dream starts looking less and less impossible on its way toward insanely Epic.
THAT is the power of a dream.
Another purpose is that once you have your dreams (you will have more than one) you can measure your current life against them. If I received an opportunity to move to Kansas for a $60k/yr to sit on my ass and do nothing, I have a very easy way to choose. Which dreams does the job get me closer to and which dreams does it get me further from? Do I like those consequences?
Not all of my dreams are so absurd. I have a dream of consistent support by trusted friends. I dream of loving relationships that I feel supported by in a lot of different areas. I dream of writing books, hosting events and performing. Realistic Dreams. Some of these dreams I already have. If I dream of having a Red Mustang and then buy it, the dream doesn't necessarily go away.
7 Year Vision:
In 7 years most of us change so totally that we become almost completely different people. While it is good to have a vision of your life, the fact is you'll change so much on your way to your 7 year plan that it will adjust mightily. After you make a 7 year plan, honor this change by reviewing and updating it once a year. Another great time is during a major transition (Relationship Change, Career Change, New Opportunity). Most of the time you will only need minor adjustments, but reviewing the Vision will be MORE effective as a rudder for your life than having a dream was. A Dream is so malleable it adjusts too quickly to change in your life. A Vision will adjust, but you'll maintain major portions of it through change. It can be the anchor you can emotionally hold onto in the heard times. Dreams may get you up, but visions will get you moving.
In your Vision list your Milestones. Think of it like: By 2016 I want to be living in a 4 bedroom house I own. It is measurable, but you can't make a here to there plan. It is a destination you may not know how to achieve, but you probably have an idea of how to get a couple steps closer.
One aspect I would recommend listing in your Vision is your Mastery Milestones. By declaring a desire to reach a certain point by a certain time it drives you to live in such a way as to make the day to day efforts with will make mastery possible in a few years rather than... well... never.
It will take:
1-3 years to reach journeyman
5-14 years to reach mastery / grand mastery (Depending on focus)
My 7 year Vision as of the original writing: (2018 updates)
2015: Achieve Journeyman Ifa Priest (Success)
2015: Achieve Journeyman Tai Chi (Success)
2015: Buy a House (Fail)
2015: Make over $10,000/mo (Success w/ Gross Income, but not net income)
2015: Weigh under 260 pounds (Complete Fail)
2016: Journeyman Mage in non-Western system (Kinda... less of a goal now though)
2016: Weigh under 220 pounds (Fail)
2016: Make over $30,000/mo (Succeed, but not as I intended)
2017: Achieve Master Magick Store Owner (Success)
2017: Be living on Covenstead (Lost interest in goal)
2017: Achieve Master Author (Lost interest in goal)
2017: Achieve Peak Physical Health (Fail)
2017: Make over $100,000/mo (Fail)
2018: Island Dream: Buy and begin overhauling the Pacific Gyre Fleet (Found someone else doing it)
2019: Island Dream: Put the Fleet in the Water, Collect Plastic and start converting Plastic into Oil
2019: Multi-Millionaire with investments increasing in value by Millions of Dollars per year
2020: Island Dream: Graphene Winders churning out Giant Sails which are sold/gifted to Ocean Ships to reduce Fuel Use and Costs. Graphene Winders also churning out Large air filled bottles which will interconnect to form the foundation of island, reefs and storm walls. Best practice recycling systems purchased and being installed.
2021: Achieve Master Tai Chi
2021: Island Dream: Large Enough to Begin Building in (initial structures built deeper and deeper below water line).
2021: Island Dream: Start new industry to import garbage, compost the biomass, and use cheap energy to profitably recycle imported garbage into raw materials.
Visions change over time. 13 months have passed since my original writing of this. My 30 year dream above is still cool sounding, but someone has designed a very good looking solution to the gyre plastic problem and is DOING it. Thus I'm shifting my 30 year dream to forming economically powerful and socially responsible intentionally communities. This also changes my 7 year vision as of 5-8-2016: (This whole article needs updating...)
- 2016: Make 3 of my inventions. Get one of them turned into a business making money.
- 2016: Weigh under 250lbs
- 2016: Get my Businesses Earning NET $10,000/mo (Gross of $30,000/mo)
- 2016: Get Reno Magick making net $2,000/mo after paying labor. (Master Magick Store Owner)
- 2016: Publish at least one new book.
- 2016: Become able to take 2 weeks off work by hiring and training.
- 2016: Flesh out, explain and debate Thrivalist Intentional Community Idea
- 2017: Have 2 or more apprentices and multiple students who share my goals.
- 2017: Buy a house (moved to 2017 because I need to improve my credit and save a down payment)
- 2017: Become able to take 1 month off by hiring and training.
- 2017: Make another 2 inventions. Turn another one into a business making money.
- 2017: Make over $100,000/mo Gross
- 2017: Explore and Start "Car Club" Company. Begin Building App with Algorithms.
- 2017: File, Buy Property and start Thrivalist Intentional Community.
- 2017: Weigh under 225lbs
- 2018: Invest in Environmental Best Practices Company/Non-Profit (Possible Pacific Gyre based probably not)
- 2018: Check in with Team doing Pacific Gyre work and support the project. Review dream island fleet idea.
- 2018: Become able to take 3 months off (every 2 years) all of my projects by hiring and training the right people. If my projects can survive 3 months without me they are going to survive if something happens and I'm no longer involved.
- 2018: Publish 2 more Books.
- 2018: File, Buy Property and start 2nd separate thrivalist community.
- 2019: Multi-Millionaire with investments increasing in value by Millions of Dollars per year
- 2019: Thrivalist Community Comprises 30+ people running 10+ businesses and owns assets worth $5+ million without counting my personal assets.
- 2019: File, Buy Property and start 3rd separate thrivalist community (different region). Document processes. Invite and support clones and competitive communities.
- 2019: Build 2 more inventions and Publish at least 1 more Book
- 2019: Purchase Automated Cars and expand "Car Club" Company with them.
- 2020: Aid Plastic Gyre solutions to be operating on all Gyres.
- 2020: Foundation to document Thrivalist Community processes and lessons. Form "standards" documentation to try to empower inter-community cooperation without blocking evolutionary individuation. Guide that "Thrivalist" communities should have someone document their variations from the standards so that Thrivalists from other communities can quickly understand what is different about a specific community they are visiting or working with.
- 2020: Study Walton Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and others to learn what I desire to emulate and what I desire to transform. Research partnership options.
- 2021: Personally managed assets cross Billion Dollar Valuation
- 2021: Form Foundation to leverage managed asset power for social, legal and environmental reform.
- 2021: Expand "Car Club" to more markets
- 2021: Personally aid 4 more Thrivalist Communities in different regions. 2 of those regions should be 2nd or 3rd world countries where the economic power could create major political, social and environmental change on a national level.
- 2022: More than 3 Thrivalist Communities formed through splits and investments of prior communities. Thrivalists communities leveraging $20 million plus in annual income to serve their communities, grow local economies, heal local environments and lobby for socially and environmentally beneficial law changes on local and state levels. (Not counting my personal assets)
- 2023: More than 10 Thrivalist Communities formed through splits, social interest and investments of prior communities.
- 2023: 10+ thrivalist communities operating in 2nd and 3rd world countries.
Ok, if you read this list and you thought: BULLSHIT, I would recommend you go read a book called “The Miracle Morning.”
Consistent and purposeful effort with a distinct vision in mind changes the definition of a realistic goal. When people dedicate to their goals with a drive and get a little bit closer each day, success is basic math. Bicycling 100,000 miles seems impossible. Say I bicycle 30 miles/day. In 1 Week I'll have gone only 210 miles. In one month I'll have gone only 840 miles. It would be tempting to see those numbers and just never try, but here is where committed and purposeful effort bears fruit.
In only 9.13 years I will have bicycled 100,000 miles. The circumference of the earth is only 24,901 miles. That means that in 9.13 years of bicycling 30 miles a day I will have “gone around the world” 4 times.
If someone told you that in next 10 years they were going to bicycle around the entire planet once you might consider it an incredible feat, but what if they did it 4 times?!? That seems downright impossible.
Consistent and purposeful effort toward a distinct vision... Incredible success is simply basic math.
Coming Soon: Pathwork to Mastery: Mastery's place in Western Magick & Spirituality pt 5 (1 Year Plan, 1 Month Schedule)